Saturday, October 6, 2007

Appeal for Support

Dear PCAP Members and Friends,

Below is an appeal for assistance from a friend of PCAP's who is looking for help with her housing situation. Sylvie is seeking financial donations, somewhere to move her mobile home to, and someone who can move her mobile home for her. More details and her contact information are included in her personal letter below. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Sylvie's case reminds us of the local face of Canada's national disaster - housing insecurity and homelessness. People in Ontario need living incomes to bridge the large gap between the cost of housing and the money available to pay for housing. In addition to improvements in emergency services, we need services and supports that help people become adequately rehoused and help them stay housed. We want more measures to prevent homelessness and housing insecurity. More affordable housing now!

---

My name is Sylvie Allaire; I live in the City of Kawartha Lakes. I am a single mother of a 14-year-old son. At the present time, I am in a dilemma; I have lived in my mobile home (12 X 64) on a farmer's lot for the past 10 years. I have been informed that I have to move my home; this is not a small task for a single parent with limited income, it is virtually impossible.

On Thursday, September 27, 2007 I was facing eviction, the decision at the landlord and tenant tribunal was in my favour. I was given til May to vacate the property. I'm looking for a trailer park that would have room for a mobile home, a Granny Flat on a farmers land, or land that would allow a mobile home. I feel that it would be in the best interest for my son as well as me to remain in the area in order for my son to continue his education at Fenelon Falls Public School and for me to continue with supports in the area.

My son has lived in this house since he is 4 years old and his friends from public school are in high school with him. He is planning to stay in school and learn a trade and the only way I can help him with his future is to be able to keep this house and support us.

I have gone to the politicians for assistance, only to be told there is no funding available and that the best option that I have is to go to my local church or A Place Called Home. These services only offer assistance once your homeless. I have applied for low income housing only to be told that there is a 3 to 5 years waiting period.

This situation has not only been stressful for me but for my son as well. I've made several attempts to find an alternative solution in order to resolve my predicament but I feel like I am getting nowhere. I have some friends and organization that are going to do some fundraising so I can move my mobile home. I'm also looking for a home moving company to give me a quote. If you would like to help I can be contacted at the following:

Email: allaire_sylvie@yahoo.ca

CIBC bank account: 01992 - 71-24430

Paypal account at www.paypal.com vilee_2000@yahoo.ca

Thank for taking the time to read this. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sylvie Allaire